Friday, April 14, 2006

Four In A Row And Coming Home



OK, things are back on track. The White Sox have won four in a row, all on the road, and after a 13-run explosion yesterday in the Motor City, the offense appears to be rounding into fine form.

That said, a few kinks still need to be worked out.

For starters, Scott Podsednik is still struggling mightily, though yesterday he did manage to score twice despite going hitless. This is a good sign. The Podsednik from last year got on base however possible. Once he gets back to this, his hitting should improve. I mean, he can't keep batting below .100, right? Right.

Jon Garland also suffered his second rough outing in as many starts, but I wouldn't panic just yet. For as long as Garland has been a starter for the Sox - which seems like forever even though he's still only 27 - he has seemed to be one of those guys with whom confidence is a major issue. For some guys, it's not. When they're hot, they're hot. When they're in a slump, they're in a slump. But nothing changes their mental approach.

For guys like Garland, however, it seems head games can take their toll, and when a rough patch is confronted, things can momentarily spin out of control. Hopefully, this is all that's going on with Garland at the moment, and I think it is. Once he has a solid start under his belt, his confidence will rise, as will his entire game as a result. He just needs to work it all out in his head. Hopefully, sooner than later. I'm sure Don Cooper is on the job as we speak.

It was nice to see the offensive outburst yesterday, with the usual suspects causing most of the damage, but even Alex Cintron hit a pair of triples. The Unknown Column is liking Cintron.

By the way, I'll be attending my first Sox game of the season tonight with the Blue Jays in town. This is my first chance to see Javier Vasquez on the mound up close. Say hello if you spot me. I got the ticket through my sister's friend, so I'm not sure where we're sitting (i.e., when free tickets and my sister's cute friends are involved, I ask no questions). But I'm easy to spot, so keep your eyes peeled. For reference, this is me...



Just add a 1918 cap...



(Yes, I'm serious about the cap. Look for the cap.)

 
albert szent-gyorgyi blog powered by blogger.com
Design by fashion