Monday, May 8, 2006

Sky High


OK, I've never attended a WNBA game, watched a WNBA game on television, bet on a WNBA game (though, weirdly enough, I've considered the possibilty), or thought of the WNBA much at all other than to note the occasional hot chick, which, sadly, the WNBA seems sorely lacking, the lovely Sue Bird aside, of course.

That said, I'm all for women's sports and don't understand the venom often directed towards the WNBA. I mean, why the hate? If you don't like it, fine. But it's there for some who do enjoy action "below the rim." so, you know, take it or leave it, but don't bash it. It's not necessarily my cup of tea, but whatever.

So in that vein, while I'm not exactly anxiously awaiting the arrival of the expansion Sky, I'm fully supportive of its endeavors in Chitown. And as I've mentioned before, I'm hopelessly in love with Stacey Dales, who will be coming out of retirement to lace up the sneakers. I caught an interview with her and coach Dave Cowens yesterday - yeah, that Dave Cowens is the head coach - and Dales looked phenomenal. By the way, when I saw her last, she was doing commentary during the women's NCAA tournament and I think she was going by Stacey Dales-Shuman. Am I wrong here? What happened to the Shuman part? Did she drop the dude? I need to know.

Anyway, I actually got a chuckle out of the Sky's mascot, Sky Guy (below), who looks like a mix between Buzz Lightyear and Duffman. It got me to thinking about which local sports team had the best mascot. Please feel free to cast your vote...

A) Chicago Sky - Sky Guy: All he needs is a six pack around his belt a la Duffman, and he'd win in a landslide.


B) White Sox - Southpaw: I want to know what he is exactly and what he did to Ribby and Rubarb.


C) Bears - Staley: He isn't exactly frightening, is he? And he has a gut like the Fridge.


D) Bulls - Benny the Bull. Dude's got some serious hops.


E) Illinois - Chief Illiniwek. He's pissed off more people than Nicor. I like that.


F) Chicago Fire - Sparky: He would be so much cooler if he incorporated into his act a few tricks involving actual fire, maybe something involving a large ring, a motor bike and several alligators.


G) Chicago Cubs - Kerry Wood: His act is always funny.

 
albert szent-gyorgyi blog powered by blogger.com
Design by fashion