Thursday, August 10, 2006

Terry Named Captain, America Stands Still


John Terry has been named the next captain of England's national team, replacing Mr. Posh Spice, David Beckham.

I don't mention this because it's earth-shattering news. I'm not a supporter of England. And Terry, while a fine player and seemingly a decent fellow, doesn't exactly capture my imagination. I only mention it because at this very moment Terry's announcement as captain is on the front page of MSN.com. Yes, right there next to stories about the foiled terrorist attacks on planes bound to the U.S. from the U.K, Joe Lieberman's embarrassment in Conecticut, Maurice Clarett's latest meltdown, and Floyd Landis' latest troubles.

I find this odd. No, I find it shocking, in a positive way. Maybe it's a slow news day, but since when is European soccer news ever deemed worthy of the front page in the States? While it still has a ways to go, has soccer in America really come so far that when the freakin' English national team announces its new captain, it's front page news here in the good ole U.S. of A? Really?

I'll take this as a good sign. I just wish I knew how to do that screencap thingy for posterity.

 
albert szent-gyorgyi blog powered by blogger.com
Design by fashion